Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Tale of the Evasive Piano Teacher

Finally, the long awaited news! I have been tempting you all about it since February, and it's now come together enough to share.

Back in February, I was looking around for a piano teacher, and called one of the University profs to see if she knew any masters students who would be willing to teach me. She asked me to come over to hear my level (Canadian music level systems are so simple, but I don't know mine since I've never had a Canadian teacher before), so we met one afternoon, and talked about my interests and learning style. I played her one song from my Pride and Prejudice soundtrack book, and she said she would teach me.

My first lesson was supposed to be in the beginning of March, but because of the Calgary Music Festival, she was busy through all of March and into April. Then she got sick, but finally, we had a lesson. I was disappointed at all I had forgotten (I know how to read music, but had forgotten a lot of the theory {scales, tempo vocabulary, and dynamics}), but it's all coming back. Plus, there's a lot more that I've never learned on perfecting my finger strength and hand positioning (which is, to put it nicely, is sloppy).
Anyhow, that's what's new with me. That and spring is FINALLY here!!! No joke this time- today it rained for the first time since I got here. So exciting. My Narcissus have bloomed, and they are so cheery, looking at the sun. And naturally, with spring comes a haircut, so I no longer have long hair, but it's easier to care for short, and a lot of people have said that it looks good.

Piano/Rose Picture courtesy of Roddyrotton. http://www.flickr.com/photos/roddyrotten/8362745/ Attribution, Noncomertial, Non-derivitive Licence.
Narcissus Picture by myself. Creative Commons licence: Attribution, Noncomertial.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Piano is super-exciting! I had a minor diversion into piano last quarter, but I realized that it would take a lot of work to get to a capable level, but yeah. So are you doing that alongside with guitar now?

Anonymous said...

AHHH! P&P soundtrack = love :)

Which one did you play?

And that's pretty cool; I think I'd find the piano more relaxing if I could still read bass clef without saying "Good boys do fine always" every time...