Thursday, May 22, 2008

FLDS Raid Update

Today, the Texas Court threw the case out. Overall, I think this was a good thing.

Even if there is abuse (as I'm sure there is) the case was presented as a group abuse, when cases should have been more individual. Plus there was a lot of confusion on details- apparently out of 31 of the "pregnant teens", at least 15 girls are older than 18, and even then, they can be legally married at 16, so being a pregnant teen is not illegal. Hopefully the abuse can be sorted out, and the raid will be a deterrant to future abuse.

Plus, now that the group has gotten more publicity, if something were to happen in the future it would be treated with fewer steriotypes and hopefully judged as any other family would be. I'm still not sure what they're going to do about the polygamy issue. At this point, I think it would be more detrimental spliting up the families again, and do more harm than good. Morally, I have an issue with it, but I'm not sure why something like that is a legal issue.

For more information: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080522/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat;_ylt=AkASZLQMQlSQNNqP93RHWaSs0NUE

No comments: