Sunday, June 29, 2008

Welcome to Britain, Mate!

We made it safe and sound to Hethrow this morning, and I'm currently on a train, whipping through Northern England/Southern Scotland (not quite sure where I am). It's gorgeous here. The train's passed several quaint towns, with red brick buildings and intricate chimneys. Each cluster has an ancient gothic steeple piercing the sky, and lush fields with plenty of sheep. 

Later...
We're in Edinburgh, and it's somewhat rainy and windy, but still relatively warm compared to what I was expecting. Our appartment is on the third floor of a building with no elevator, but steep stairs. I'm tempted to count carrying my suitcase up as "going up 5 flights of stairs," but I'm not doing it as an alternative. It's up those stairs, or on the street. :) They're not that bad. They look sort of rustic and artistic- a pleasure to climb!
I got a quick tour from Uncle Gord of the Royal Mile, Princess Street, and Rose Street. For dinner we ate at a nice restaurant and I had a really interesting side to my fish- mashed peas. Apparently it's a Scottish thing. It has a bit of lemon flavoring, and was really good; I'd almost venture to say better than steamed peas.
If you are my facebook friend, check the pictures. I've decided I'm going to upload around 5 a day, unless there are waaaaay too many good ones to pick 5 from.

No comments: