Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Hills are Alive...


This afternoon I watched Sound of Music with Jessica. It's just the movie I needed to see. We bought the VHS when I was 5 (the same age as Gretl), and I watched it so much when I was little that the words are ingraved in my head. Even though the last time I saw it was probably 4 years ago, I could still sing along, and I knew a lot of the lines. The thing that makes me laugh the most when I see it is when the Reverand Mother tells Maria that she's going to be the governness of seven children, and she responds:
Maria: "Seven Children!"
Rev Mother: "Don't you like children, Maria?"
Maria: "Well yes, but seven!"

The first time I watched this movie, I was five and sitting next to my mom. I actually remember turning to her and asking, "Can someone have seven children?" I remember being astounded, that it was possible. At that age, I knew a couple families with 3 or 4, but I don't remember any bigger than that.

Before we watched the movie today, I remembered that same astounded feeling, and was expecting, I don't know... 11, 12 children. When she said seven, this time my responce was, "That's it?" I can't believe that seven children baffled me. Don't get me wrong, that is a lot, but now I know a couple families with at least 7. One family from my mom's hometown had 22 from the same parents. It's interesting how our perspectives change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this movie. Idea for next small group outreach?

(today I did something a little stalkerish and read your whole blog. it happens).

raeeee