Monday, January 07, 2008

Another Resolution...

The other day, the lovely Susanna C asked me my favorite book. I pulled out a tattered edition of Redeeming Love, and tried to best summarize the wonderful novel. After her and Matthew left the next day, I picked it up and read it. All 465 pages of it in two days. It is still an amazing book- things like that don't change- but beyond reminding me of my priorities and bringing me to an amazing discovery (that I may write about one day. maybe), it rekindled my love for reading.
Then today, I was reading an article on the Young Ladies' Christian Fellowship, and Natalie's resolution to read 10 books (10 not so easy books...) in the next year. Seeing as I read over 400 pages in 2 days, I figured I could take the challenge. I have an ongoing "To-read list" as you may notice to the right, which I have updated. So, here's the plan:

I am going to read all those books, before university (September 2009).
Here's the order, with a bit of detail about why I chose them:
1) The Bible: Something I need to do first. I've never read the whole thing, and I need to. I will be doing this while reading the other books. And when I'm done, again. And again.
2) Anne's House of Dreams: Book 3 of Anne of Green Gables Series. I have already started it, so it's a bit of a priority.
3)When Breaks the Dawn & When Hope Springs New: I've read the first two books of the series, and enjoyed it. And it annoys me to not finish a series.
4) Five Little Peppers: This was on Natalie's list of reccomeded books, and the title is SO familiar, but I can't place it! I don't know if I've read it when I was younger, or if it was alluded to in something else I've read. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to finding out. From the Wikipedia summary, it sounds like a light-hearted story, like Michael O'Halloran.
5) Rest of the Chronicles of Narnia series: Matthew gave us the audio books, which will be very handy. Plus, I've already read the first two, and like I said, I need to finish a series!
6) Vanity Fair and Brother's Karamazov: Classics. As Tony Jones put it (the guy who originally made me want to read Brother's Karamazov years ago. eek) "The Brothers Karamazov is not easy to read. While it's informative... and entertaining... those reasons alone probably aren't enough to get anyone through all 920 pages. We read a book like the Brothers Karamazov because by its beauty and profundity, it changes us. We become better having read it. We better understand who we are as sinful human beings, and we better undrstand our deep need for the relationships with God," (Jones; Read, Think, Pray, Live; 19-20) [By the way, if anyone is looking for a good book for themselves, Read, Think, Pray, Live is my next favorite book after Redeeming Love.]
7) Wind in the Willows: I read it when I was little, and a nice, lighthearted novel thrown in here would be welcome!
8) The Princess and the Goblin: Haha, I love this movie. Kassi and I watched it the first night she moved in, and it's probably the reason we hit it off so well in the beginning. I didn't know it was a book, but Natalie had it on her reccomended list.
9) A Little Princess: Another princess book, and good movie!
10) Heidi: I love Shirley Temple's version. Why am I picking books off of movies???
11) Wives and Daughters: Another classic with an intreiging title.
12) The Hobbit: Similar to the Narnia series, I started reading this when I was very little, got scared, and have never opened it again. Looking forward to overcoming my reading fears and avoiding potential future mocking.
13) The Agony and the Ecstacy: Going to try it again! Hopefully after all these books, I'll be so motivated I won't notice what I'm reading. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting book. Just long, with very tiny print...

I plan to write a bit about each one when I finish them (and with each book of the Bible, since that is actually a compilation of 66 books). Considering after a week I won't have much school for the rest of January, I should be able to finish Anne's house of Dreams and When Breaks the Dawn/When Hope Springs New. Wish me luck!

No comments: