Sunday, December 02, 2007

Great Expectations

It's very scary and intimidating to think in one year, it will be expected that I have filled out all college applications. In one year and six months, I should be packing for university, or at least getting my courses organized and books if at the U of C.

My grandfather has told me, twice now, that he would love for me to become a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. He says he wants me to pursue a career where I have a high social esteem (I know that's not the term he used but you know, society thinks it's an amazing profession), and high salary. He's even pointed out professions like a teacher don't fit into this. After talking to someone about this, they said, "people who have their own businesses are more financially stable than those in occupations such as doctor and lawyer."

I personally have always had issues with high expectations, in that I like to meet them. But what do you do if your heart a) doesn't want to and/or b) doesn't think it's right? I feel guilty for not even considering the "options" my grandfather has given me, because with a casual glance, I know they're not for me.

It's gotten to the point, where when someone asks "What are you going to do?" I answer "I don't know." It is true, I don't know what I am going to do, but I know very much would I would like to do. I've known for a couple months, but not many people know. I have still strove to come up with something else to satisfy them. The problem is convincing those around me to respect it.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hello Chelsea!

I found your blog through Anna S's. You said you were a Calgarian--and I'm an Edmontonian. :P

This post hit home. I seem to be in the same situation as you: certain people and family members expect me to go into "high social esteem" careers (who wants a career, anyway? I'd rather have a vocation), but I have no intention of doing so. It's not right and I don't want to. So I'm not going to. Like you, I tend to answer, "Oh, I don't know!" in a lighthearted kind of way, and then carelessly list several interesting professions. Or I just turn the discussion to the outrageous number of options available.

Have you read Max Lucado's "Cure for the Common Life"? Chelsea, honestly, do what you love and want to do and are called to do. Fulfill God's expectations for you, not man's.

Trying to satisfy people only brings regrets.

Kathleen said...

And take your time! God's time isn't man's time ;)